- Traditional IT management is focused on resources and technology.
- Since technology changes rapidly, IT is continuously reorganizing to fit the organization to the technology.
- IT service management focuses on process.
- Processes are less likely to change despite improvements in technology. Processes also tend to be more results focused.
- ITIL re-focuses the IT organization to going back to serve the organization.
- It provides a common language that the customer and IT understands. This translates to less confusion and more effective communication.